Sunday, October 21, 2007

10/12/07: To Crestline the Back Way

Well friends, I now have a quiet moment when my son Stan is at work, Sarah, my almost-four-years-old granddaughter, and daughter-in-law Kristen are at childcare or teaching. I was going to try and go from Howard's house in Richmond via San Simeon to pause and take pics of Hearst Castle to go with the Pan's Pool photo I took (now at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia). Pan's Pool is a photo I took out back of the Berkeley Women's Faculty Club on a visit there in 2004. They were both designed by Julia Morgan in the 20s-30s, the first famous women architect (or so the PR goes).

But, in my effort to get going and spend more time with my son and his family and be here in time for Kristen's 40th (which is today by the way), I opted for directness and, of course, got stuck driving at night on a two-lane road with halogen/brights coming my way and tailgating me from behind (I let those guys pass).

I went the back way, down 58 and then onto 138 and saw these windmills, which were very hypnotizing, spinning in every which direction. There were lots and lots of them, big ones and little ones.

I passed by Edward's Air Force base and was passed by fast vans with Homeland Security and other police services written on the sides. I saw a huge plane fly in a big circle sheparded by a teeny weeny plane (at least in comparison).

Actually it turned out this was a good decision, because the next day on Friday, there was a huge accident in a tunnel on the I-5, around the "grapevine" involving tractor trailers and cars bursting into flames. Three people died. They closed the I-5 for a few days.

I've been spending time diddling with the photos I took at the Wildlife Safari, learning more about this Mac and deciding I was better off using iPhoto than the EOS Image Ready, my Canon Rebel uses, which was taking an incredibly long time to load and delete pics. But now I've gone back to the EOS editing software, because the iPhoto duplicates photos and takes up a lot of memory.

No comments: