Saturday, October 20, 2007

10/05-06/07: R&R at the Mandels

Today, Friday, after all the excitements and long drivings, I went down to Davis to visit my sangha friends, Joel and Sarah Mandel. Of course, I had to get lost. Last time I visited them New Years Eve 2005, right after my mom died. It was pouring the Pineapple Express (a heavy rainfall that comes across the Pacific from guess, yeah, Hawaii). The whole central valley in California had flooded and houses washed down the Russian River. I arrived at the Davis Shambhala Centre just in time to hear Richard Reoch open an address to be given by the Sakyong that was being transmitted live via phone link.

So that time when I came I had to traverse a number of rather large puddles, more like small lakes and get lost. This time, outside of not recognizing the road, it was less excuseable. Mainly I undershot the mark and travelled up and down Mace, which turned into something else. Anyway, Sarah talked me in via cell and they served up a wonderful dinner of beef stew. Mostly I rested and chatted and worked some on the Wildlife Safari pics, while Sarah sewed beautiful quilted puja table cloths and Joel exercised and travelled to the store. I thank them very much for their hospitality and generosity in just being my friends.

I left at my usual time -- about 9:30 or 10 am -- to go visit my friend Luci in Sonoma, whom I've known since about 1971 or 2. Her directions were from Google and even though down many highways and biways, I was able to follow them and not get lost!

No comments: