Wednesday, October 17, 2007

10/04/07: Square Pants and Lone Sticks

My brother gave me the day off, which was very sweet of him, to go and visit the lawyer, Don, down in Brookings (not too far from Gold Beach -- about 20 miles). I let him pick one of my photos as a thank you for all the work he did for my brother and I. As some of you may know, he's the sort who, after a Rotary Club meeting came over to the house wearing a tie that lit up and I think may have played a song. Gad. He has a heart of gold.

He picked "The Dao of Driftwood," which as you may recall is at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. He had me sign the back as an "artist's proof." He's going to frame it and put it in his reception area.

He kindly took me out to lunch at his favorite watering hole and let me take a pick of him in his bright blue new Volkswagen. That's Square Pants Sponge Bob on the side. There's a pic of Minnie Mouse on the hood. He's an avid golfer and has (obviously) a great sense of humour.

After that, I went by my mother's old house that I sold on December 21, 2006, one year to the day after she died. The new owner has painted it pumpkin orange and green and renamed it "Herb Cottage" (as you can see in the pics) from "Set E C," which my mother and brother had named it, meaning C'est Ici for the francophones in the audience. There are what look like four "beds" in the front yard. There used to be Agapanthis (tall purple flowers) under the living room windows, which they've pulled out to expose the raggedy bottom of the front wall. Good thing we sold it "as is."

Then, on the way back, I stopped by Lone Ranch Beach, where I took most of my beach photos of driftwood and such, and spent another half hour taking some really cool pics. I'm just posting one that I'm calling "Lone Stick." It's nice to know sometimes that my photo taking is not always completely serendipitous!


When I got back to Gold Beach I went out to dinner with my brother one last time, this time to the Porthole on the harbour in Gold Beach. Went to bed early to get ready for the long drive to Yuba City and my "god parents" Libby and Joe.


No comments: