Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Lake Superior and Secret Doors

September 12, 2007

I’m writing from Pam Johnson’s place (used to be Wimberley) in Regina
, Saskatchewan. I keep getting hypnotized watching telly. They just aired a segment on eye laser surgery. Hmmm.

Anyway, I’m trying to to a bit of catchup, so I can move along more smartly, though I’m getting to a phase where I’ll be staying at people’s houses a bit more (until I visit my brother in Gold Beach, Oregon, when I will be staying about a week).


So, back to September 9th. From Wawa, it was a beautiful drive down Route 17, taking the long way around the Great Lakes. I did see more inuksuit and decided to branch out in my picture taking to get a shot of Lake Superior, though I wasn't always near enough.

I moved on to a small town the other side of Thunder Bay (which had a population of 110,000 -- amazingly enough to me and too big for me to want to stop, plus being off the road), called Ignace (population 1,700). I almost ran out of gas again. Seems I have to fill up when the tank gets to half empty. The distances between "towns" (and that's possibly being generous) is too great. It did start raining a bit, but not as bad as on the way to Wawa, when it poured buckets. 

For a good idea of how the road looked, I spotted a bit of a rainbow behind a big rig, as I cruised off the Canadian "shield" -- a pre-Cambrian, huge patch of rock that covers most of Ontario, Quebec, the northern parts of Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

I ended up staying at the Lone Pine Motel on Lake Agimac (believe it or not there’s more than 56,000 listings in Google for this motel).

It was a wonderful old motel built by the proprietor's father, who also made all the furniture. It had some interesting features (besides, of course, no wireless nor cell access). It was a classic vacation spot, where each room had access to a little bit of beach and a few comfortable
beach chairs.

Each room had an interesting feature of two little back-to-back doors that you could use to unload your luggage from your car, which had to be parked behind your room, so as not to obstruct the lake view.

No comments: