Thursday, September 20, 2007

9/20/07 morning: Wild Flour and the Three Tows

September 20, 2007

Note: You can double click on the photos to see a slightly larger version, but please don't download them as I may use them later).

Sorry guys for taking so long to make this post, but I've been somewhat trapped in Banff. I'm sitting in the Wild Flour Cafe eating granola, compote, and yogurt, drinking Free Trade "Three Sisters" mild coffee and cream, looking at what appears to be a rather threatening sky. Aas many of you know, my Shambhala Clan name is Fearless Wildflower -- also how I sign these posts, AND it has free wireless.

Last Sunday, as you recall, my car stopped working at the entrance to Banff (now I know how to spell it) National Park. Turned out the water pump had stopped working and caused the serpentine belt to break, rather dramatically I understand into various pieces. Along with a tensioner pulley, I got that fixed for a mere $569.46. Then under strong advisement from John the ace mechanic at Knibbe Automotive, I had the oil replaced (homage to Stan) at the Minute Muffler -- about $41.

Well, I drove back to the Park, past Banff and -- of course, stopped and took a pic of what I think is Castle Mountain (see photo), started the car and it stalled, started again, and it stalled every time I put my foot on the gas or changed gear from Park. Called CAA, got Martin the Albanian again, but this time decided not to go all the way back to Calgary (probably not a great decision). I didn't want to further impose on the Johns' (after being there three nights), so went to the Petro Station in Banff instead. They didn't get to it until the afternoon, which meant a night in Banff. Picked the Homestead Inn, because it was close to the Petro station and didn't cost as much as everywhere else ($111/night. gad. No wireless.)

Next day, they were still working on it, and because I kept coming back to get things out of the trunk, ended up locking my keys in it. After the guys (Stuart -- long blond hair in a pony tail, who knows Buicks, Don Donnelly (who looks like a George Clooney clone, who probably has been told that numerous times, so is shy to look a person -- particularly female -- in the eyes, but otherwise has a quiet humour, who can get hassled if you push; and Paul, the owner -- I think he's possibly Pakistani, though I'm not sure, who takes rather good pics of Park animals to calm his mind, which could use the help as he's a bit of a hoverer) tried to open the trunk for at least an hour and a half, called me up to come down to decide what to do -- call CAA for the fourth time. Fellow named Joe came out and made me new keys (should have brought my spares, which were sitting in my desk drawner in Halifax). So, car wasn't done, stayed the next night in the last extra room Homestead had saved to accomodate a bus tour.

Next day, done by about 2 pm. It took them a very long time doing diagnostics. I had big worries about the bill. For the car techies in the crowd and I know you're there: "starts then dies when put into gear. Remove and test ignition coil pack. Tests ok. 2 cylinders not firing. Replace ignition module. Cylinders now firing but engine still misses/stalls. Trace to old piece of belt stuck between the crankshaft sensor vanes. Remove pulley to remove belt piece -- plus more). Cost: $688.70. They gave me a free tow card, good in the U.S. and Canada.

Took off. Didn't make it as far as Castle Rock this time. Stopped to take a pic or two (see photos) and turned the engine on, and it did it again, but not quite as bad. I almost wanted to try and make it go, but knew that I'd regret it practically immediately. Called CAA for the fifth (and last free time) and got towed back to Banff (by a Japanese fellow this time). Booked a room. I had investigated staying at the hostel (only $35, but I'd have to share a room with 6 other people. Did have wireless and and a pool table and activities, like hikes that you could go on. Also tried the Banff Lodge across the street from the Homestead, but it cost $169 plus tax, but did include wireless, which is when I decided to use the Wild Flour).

So, basically the problem was that a piece of the belt that blew up, got inbetween something and the sensor coil, which didn't manifest until probably, I stoped to take the pic and it fell down into the place where it interfered with the transmission of the signal that the cylinders were firing. (I promise not to be this techie in future posts.) They fixed it fairly quickly as they had ordered the part, which was an Ignition coil (aka, the sensor). $184.21.

Now, it is time to leave. I'm definitely going though the sky is louring and it may snow, hopefully not too badly. Let you know later how it goes. I did (I have to admit) get somewhat bummed, but that's part of the journey too.


No comments: